How to use Snorer.me Signposting™
‘Signposting’ is the medical term for providing free, valid information, regarding available services and options… and pointing out the right ‘road’….
Here’s a step-by-step Guide to using Snorer.me Signposting™↗ together with an FAQ.
Click to jump to each section:
Click on the images to expand them.
Then click away from them to return to the main screen
Create a new accountThanks for your interest in Snorer.me Signposting™.
Go to Snorer.me ↗ and click the blue ‘Create account now’ button.
Register & verify your email
Enter your name, email address and create a password. We’ll email you. Click the link in the email to verify your account.
Create your profile
Enter your postcode to look up your address (or if you prefer – type it in yourself).
Select your address
Select your address from the drop-down and it will automatically complete the form fields.
First series of questions
The first of 3 series of questions. Note the progress bar at the top of the page.
Click the buttons Yes/No.
Second series of questions
The second series of questions. You’re getting there!
Click the buttons to indicate your Yes/No answers.
Select a sleep-trained dentist
In this example, the snorer has been signposted to select a sleep-trained dentist with a view to a prescription, custom-made anti-snoring device.
Consult your GP
In this example, the snorer requires further investigation (perhaps they’re sleepy as well as a snorer), and has been signposted to consult their GP.
Frequently Asked Questions. Have one that isn’t answered? Get in touch.
What is Snorer.me Signposting™?
Snorer.me Signposting™ is a free (for UK adults) triage tool designed to:
- Direct you to the most appropriate professional to help you stop snoring and/or get drowsiness investigated
- Capture the necessary data a healthcare professional needs to screen you for obstructive sleep apnoea.
Snorer.me Signposting™ does NOT provide you with a diagnosis.
Triage is by definition limited and cannot be accurate – the outcome is based upon the information you provide.
But that’s missing the point: the Oxford English Dictionary defines ‘triage’ as:
…the assignment of degrees of urgency to wounds or illnesses to decide the order of treatment of a large number of patients or casualties.
Which we take to mean, directing you to the most appropriate professional based upon your answers to a published pre-treatment screening protocol1.
Signposting is intended to get you in front of someone who can help you rather than move you ‘from pillar to post’ (and we believe you want that person to have the information they need to do their job).
In technical terms, Snorer.me Signposting™ is a Class 1 medical device, Clinical Decision Support System, Software as a Medical Device. The manufacturer is Snorer.com Ltd. Registered with the UK Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Authority.
How long will it take?
We estimate Snorer.me Signposting™ will take 10-15 mins to complete as the questions are a mixture of Yes/No responses and ‘click/tap the picture’.
How does Snorer.me Signposting work?
You answer 25 questions on-line.
Depending upon your answers, you will be signposted to either your GP or to select a UK sleep-trained dentist.
The professional you’re signposted to, then has the information necessary to screen you for obstructive sleep apnoea, and determine if you need further investigation.
If you’re signposted to select a sleep-trained dentist, it’s because a custom-made, prescription anti-snoring device is the first way to stop snoring and you do not need to see your GP first (they have nothing to offer you for ‘benign’ anti-social snoring i.e. without sleepiness symptoms).
If you’re signposted to your GP, print your results and take them with you. You will save the GP (and yourself) considerable time. You’ve also demonstrated that you’re serious about seeking help.
How much does it cost?
In order to keep this service free, some sleep-trained dentists may opt to enhance and promote their listing.
- Oral appliance therapy for snoring (mandibular advancement devices) is currently a private, fee-paying dental treatment.
- Diagnosis and treatment of sleep apnoea is available free from the NHS for UK citizens.
What are the benefits?
- YOU are screened for obstructive sleep apnoea for free
- YOU no longer have to guess how to stop snoring
- YOU avoid the pitfalls of over-the-counter gadget guesswork
- YOU help your GP by completing your assessment forms in your own time
- YOUR GP has the information they need to assess you straight away (if you’re signposted to a GP)
- NHS sleep unit resource usage is optimised. Non-sleepy snorers without comorbidities (e.g. not obese, not diabetic, no heart conditions etc.) are directed to sleep-trained dentists.
- YOUR data is anonymised and kept securely (in accordance with National data retention standards)
- YOUR data is not shared or sold.
- YOU retain control. You may opt to share your anonymised data with your GP or the sleep-trained dentist of your choice
What are the risks?
This tool is offered in good faith and based on a published screening protocol1 (that is recognised by professional bodies such as the Association for Respiratory Technology and Physiology UK and professional indemnity insurers). We consider the possible theoretical risks arising from your use of Snorer.me Signposting™ are far outweighed by the benefits.
However, despite our best efforts, it is always possible that we’re hacked and your data is compromised. We take electronic and physical measures to mitigate against this, including anonymising your data.
If this is the case, then the presence or absence of daytime somnolence is the first critical screening factor for specialist referral and can be assessed by the Epworth sleepiness scale.
If you experience sleepiness during your normal wake time or suspect that you have a sleep related problem, then this test which uses a pictorial version of the Epworth sleepiness scale1 and the published Stradling Dookun pre-treatment screening questions2 could reasonably be considered appropriate.
- Our patient signposting service is called Snorer.me Signposting™ (available here: me.snorer.com and via snorer.me)
“Snorer.me Signposting™”, provides UK adult snoring patient signposting to optimise use of both GP clinical time and finite NHS secondary care sleep diagnostic services.
- Snorer.me Signposting™ is a free service. In order to keep it this way some dentists may opt to enhance their listing.
- SHOULD YOU BE ADVISED NOT TO PERFORM A VIGILANCE CRITICAL ROLE BY THE DOCTOR/SLEEP-TRAINED DENTIST YOU AGREE TO DEFEND, INDEMNIFY, AND HOLD SNORER.COM LTD., ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, LICENSORS, AND SUPPLIERS, HARMLESS FROM AND AGAINST ANY CLAIMS, ACTIONS OR DEMANDS, LIABILITIES AND SETTLEMENTS INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, REASONABLE LEGAL AND ACCOUNTING FEES, RESULTING FROM, OR ALLEGED TO RESULT FROM, YOU FAILING TO FOLLOW THIS PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE.
- Snorer.com Ltd. its subsidiaries, affiliated companies, joint venturers, business partners, licensors, employees and agents accept no responsibility or any liability for the decisions, actions or inaction by healthcare professionals you are signposted to.
- We will NOT use your email address and/or phone number to contact you for marketing purposes.
1. Ghiassi R, Murphy K, Cummin AR, et al Developing a pictorial Epworth Sleepiness Scale Thorax 2011;66:97-100.
2. Stradling J and Dookun R. (2009), Snoring and the role of the GDP: British Society of Dental Sleep Medicine (BSDSM) pre-treatment screening protocol. BDJ
Snorer.me Signposting is a CE marked Clinical Decision Support System (CDSS) Software as a Medical Device (SaMD).
Snorer.com Ltd. is the manufacturer registered with the UK Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Authority.
Copyright Snorer.com (2019) All rights reserved.
Created by Adrian Zacher. Page last updated 19th March 2019.